Pages

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Life’s Purpose


At risk of being a reductionist, which I often am, it appears to me that the discussion that Tim and I have had for some period of time and now I delighted that Paul has joined in, resonate on a common theme we all wrestle with during life; what is the purpose. What are we here, if we’re here. What are we supposed to be doing while we are here? Or as it was expressed in my college days: Who am I? Where am I going? And, is it important?

I have a good deal of the philosopher in me, which I take to mean I am always searching for truth but will always have doubts. I also am a theologian who uses the same tools of philosophy but makes that jump to a belief, an absolute truth, even though I may not ever completely grasp it. I think eastern and western philosophy and religions are work on these issues.

In these common searches it seems to me that there are two basic paths in the search for truth, or enlightenment as Tim brings Buddhism into conversation. These two paths seem to be found in all the religions. Is truth/enlightenment something we can attain, achieve or find; which the majority of folk seem to believe. Or, is truth/enlightenment something that is merely a gift which we receive.

Most eastern traditions, as I understand them, teach we achieve meaning in life by thinking and living in a certain manner. The Judao-Christian tradition varies from that in that it Judaism there are sacrifices made to atone for our inability to follow the “law” path to right relationships with God, knowing that they don’t really work. In Christianity it is more, who you know that what you know. That the end point of life, salvation/health is a gift with no strings attached, this achieved by the God/human Jesus, the only one capable of healing the rift between God and humanity. I will note however, that most Christians don’t really believe this and still believe in works righteousness.

As I have mentioned before, I believe our purpose here on earth, this plane of existence is to learn good citizenship for the kingdom of God that has been given to us. We try to follow in the paths and teachings of Jesus, but know we will always fail, but that is not held against us. (It’a like golf, we strive for perfection and always fail. M.M.)

To contrast that with the teaching of Siddhartha Gotama Budda. Buddha believed he reached enlightenment at age 35 and then taught his philosophy of life. Basically we are to live moral lives, aware of the effects of our thoughts and actions, and to become wise. He taught noble truths, and eight fold path, and five precepts. Wisdom, for Buddha was compassion for others, being open, objective, unbigoted, patience, flexibility and intelligence.  I embrace practically all of what Buddha taught; but it is a philosophy of how to attain a happy life.

I also believe that God intends us to be happy. But in both Buddhism and other religions and philosophies, it is well known that pain and suffering in a part of living fulfilled lives. I loved being a pastor and teaching the great truths that I knew and relating with people I loved and who loved me. It was also often a total pain in the ass as believers keep taking their eye of the ball and bitching about a lot of unimportant stuff. Or, it is just another human institution, with all its human foibles even if it is the visible embodiment of the invisible body of Christ. (Think I’m in for it now.)

I am now delighted the Paul has made his comments, which I find always on target and well said. Ah this thing called soul and its forms.

There is an old Hebrew legend that that originally God created us as beings of light and now that light is trapped in our human bodies, but we will return to that light. Just thought I’d toss that in.

So much more to say, but I’ll leave it here for now and will move on to the more mundane aspects of life.

Thank you Tim and Paul for making my life richer for sharing of your wisdom. I look forward to the continuing dialogue dance.

[A note of Marj if you’re reading, and I assume you are. Can you tell me the name of the book I alluded to in an earlier piece about the boy who embraced a number of religions?]

Hugh

No comments:

Post a Comment