Pages

Saturday, September 28, 2013

A Visitor Comes to the Shackteau

With the pleasant fall weather we have been leaving the windows open on the screen door of the Shackteau for the cool breezes to come and waft over our felines. There has been a side effect.
Neighboring cats have been coming by to pay their respects our Lamont, Pawline and Patrichia, pass the time of day, and share a story or two.

It really exists

One evening when the furless ones were abed, Jake a farm cat came to town. He had heard through the catvine that there were three very intelligent and intriguing cats, one reportedly ruggedly handsome, living in a place called the Shackteau. After getting directions from some feral cats about town Jake made went to the place called the Schackteau. A husky, meow, drew the inhabitations to the door. After proper introductions were made, by Lamont of course; he takes charge of most situations. They began the visit.


They cat-chatted about their various lives. Lamont, Paw and Patch gushed on about their luxurious abode with a fireplace of their own and air-conditioning, gourmet meals and of course the furless servants who waited upon them hand and foot and proper furless servants should. They went on about the petting and brushing they received everyday and the electronic toys they used when the furless ones were asleep, especially the computer that Lamont and pretty much mastered at this point. Lamont made sure Jake understood that because of his careful and undaunting research that he gave frequent lectures to his two sisters about the ways of the world near and far. He went as far to invite Jake to one of the lectures. Jake said he would think about it.

Jake in turn told them about his life on the farm. “Pretty good place to be as well,” he said. “We don’t have some of those high flauntin’ gadgets that you cats seem to have, at least not where we are. It could be they have such stuff in the house. I never go to the house myself,” continued Jake, “I’m perfectly content being a barn cat. Oh I go to the house when they set out dinner for us and other goodies at various times, but I just don’t hang there much. I find it more fun to run around the farm exploring things, that you cats, can only read about on that computer thingy.

“I also like to hunt, “said Jake, stretching out and standing a bit taller. I mainly hunt mouse, but I also go in for bird hunting and occasionally bigger prey. It’s lots of fun. I sing a little song about the mouse hunting.

‘Love to eat them mousies,
Mousies what I love to eat.
Bite they little heads off…
Nibble on the tiny feet.” *

                                                                                by B. Kilban


“Oh my,” said Patch quietly.

“We used to do that, “ piped in Paw “before we moved into the schacteau. But I don’t think we enjoyed it as much as you seem to, we just had to. Nothing against your obvious hunting talents,” she purred, “but I really prefer to have my meals catered. However, we do like hunting bugs that find their way into the Shackteau. We like to bit at them, even if we miss most of the time.”

“To each their own,” said, Jake and wisely added. “Guess it’s a good thing to enjoy where you are.”

“True enough my good cat, true enough,” enjoined Lamont.

“I agree,” added Paw but then added, “though I admit at times I do long for the outdoors. I used to escape from here from time to time you know. But every time I got wet, cold and hungry, and while I put up a fight, I was secretly happy when the furless servants caught me and put me inside again. I don’t think about it much now. If fact, I really avoid going out if they open the door enough to where I could sneak out. I guess we adapt.”

“Well,” said, Jake, “I’ve got to go back to farm now. It was nice to chat with you cats. I hope we can do it again sometimes.”

“Anytime,” Pawline replied. “We’d love to visit again.”

“Thanks,” said Jake, “but now I’ve got to go home and feed my litter. They must be meowing their heads of for mother’s milk. Bye now.” And Jake meandered off to his farm.

by B. Kilban



“Nice cat,” said Lamont, “It was good to visit with another cat and get the perspective on life. I hope others will come around and do the same. We could learn a lot from them. Such as, why on earth, did his furless servants name her Jake?”

No comments:

Post a Comment