Pages

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Good Citizens: Of Country and Religious

I’m sure I have written on this subject before but I think it bears repeating with my current take.

Recently I read an article in Christian Century that stirred my thoughts again. In the article the author use the term “forensic theory of atonement.” Now I really like CIS, NCIS etc. but forensic atonement? It is described as ”forgiveness is likened to a judge declaring an accursed party innocent. The legal declaration depends not on the spiritual constitution of the forgiveness but upon the authority of the judge. Hey, I’m on board with that, but the author of the article wasn’t.

The author makes the argument, prominent in Christendom that atonement, making ourselves right with God, demand that we repay with alms. The danger the author sees is “cheap grace” quoting Dietrich Bonheoffer. With all due respect for Bonheoffer, he may not be right.

Now I could go on in theological detail boring everyone including myself but I think I can simply it. What makes a person a Christian? Every group I know of says one is a Christian if they belief and accepts Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. That’s it. There is no test to pass, no good works that must be done, but as Martin Luther said, “by grace alone.” (For my Roman Catholic readers St. Augustine says essentially the same thing.)

The theology term used by folk who believe we must do something to atone for our sins is efficacious grace. That means our belief, an act of our will makes our salvation possible. Or our belief forces God’s hand to receive us into Her kingdom. Egotism. John Calvin argues that grace is irresistible; if God wants us we are got. Now Calvin was not a universalist but I, as a Calvinist, I am.

Now I am completely ignoring proper human response to God’s love for us creating this unconditional love shown to us in the death and resurrection of Jesus, atoning for all our sins, no matter what we do or don’t do. To show our thanks for this love I believe pushes us into acts of goodness enabled by God’s grace, but it does not force God’s hand it is responsive to God’s hand.

Perhaps I can better explain it in my attempt to mix politics and religion in this blog. What makes a citizen of the United States of America? Having an parent as a citizen, or taking a test to become a citizen. It is the first that I want to accent. Most all citizens are citizens not because of anything they did but what has just been bestowed upon them. There are good citizens and bad citizens, but they are still citizens. In the same way there are good Christians and bad Christians, but they are still Christians. It not what you know but who you know.

In light of the privilege of being an American citizen it would seem that we should react thankfully by being good citizens; knowing and appreciating our history, knowledgeable about how our government works, up to date on current history and issues to be able to make intelligent contributions to the national dialogue and the like. But the truth is that, like Christian citizens, most of us are poor U.S. citizens, apathetic and non-involved. For this reason I have thought it was wrong to do away with the universal draft system in our country. Not that everyone should have to join a part of the armed forces but they should serve their country for a minimum of a couple of years just because it is the right thing to do.

As a result of our poor citizenship, bad citizens, those who put their own wellbeing and desires ahead of the national good have seized control of our government making it do their will.


You are a citizen. You may be a Christian. You don’t have to, but it would be nice if we would show our thankfulness by being involved and conscious citizens.


No comments:

Post a Comment