Pages

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

A Trip to Kinstone

The other day Doreen surprised me with a drive in the country at ended up at Kinstone. Kinstone was founded by Kristine Beck who came out of a class that was being taught to greet us and allow us into the layout. It is awesome. She and Wayne Wiseman co-founded Kinstone Academy there to promote Permaculture and actually applying it with hand-on experience on the many projects they have going on throughout the Kinstone property.

Kristine Beck
Wayne Weiseman


If you are wondering what permaculture is let me give you this definition from their web site: Permaculture principles focus on thoughtful designs for small-scale intensive systems, which are labor efficient and which use biological resources instead of fossil fuels. Designs stress ecological connections and closed energy and material loops. The core of Permaculture is design and the working relationships and connections between all things. Each component in a system performs multiple functions, and each function is supported by many elements. Key to efficient design is observation and replication of natural ecosystems, where designers maximize diversity with polycultures, stress efficient energy planning for houses and settlement, using and accelerating natural plant succession, and increasing the highly productive edge-zones within the system.” ~Bill Mollison, originator of the Permaculture design system

They have erected lot of stones on the grounds, several in circle patterns not for any particular purpose, just pleasing to look at. In fact, that is the feel of the place, just a comfortable place to come and be a part of nature and feel the beauty. It works.

There is much more there now


They have a classroom building where a variety of classes are held on permaculture. You can go to their website to see what they offer. It website is loaded with lots of information about what they are doing.



Getting there is quite a trip as folk in the area seem to have a predilection for ripping of the road markers. Its location is S3439 Cole Bluff Lane, Fountain City, WI. I’d suggest getting out your GPS if you have one and just put in the address; but the website had information on this.

One of the things they had on their property was a labyrinth. I am particularly found of labyrinths to walk through and to contemplate. I have walked through several of them over the years and look forward to walking theirs. They also have a chapel that is near completion.

26 volunterers built in a few hours
the Chapel


They have a lovely mission statement about building eco-skills, and connected to nature. For me I thought of the Hebrew  word Eratz, which means earth, but more than that the origin of where we come from. Being raised on a farm where my father had a great sense of our responsibility to the land, this place resonated with me.


I found the place very spiritual, yet not locked into any organized religion, just a spiritual presence where I felt God’s presence.




I suggest finding a bit of time to take the trip to Kinstone and enjoy the landscape. Perhaps you’ll be inspiried to take a class.

2 comments:

  1. The place looks interesting. Since I have no GPS, I looked for it on Google Maps, but only found a farm at that place. Probably a dated satellite photo. Being a native Badger, I frequently used the satellite option to retrace canoe trips we made back in the 60-70s a little further
    north out of Eau Claire. My favorite entrance to Wisconsin when I visit
    is the river road from Winona up to Nelson (and its cheese factory) so
    we may have to check out Kinestone.
    ps. have been boycotting the state since Walker...when can I come back?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops I think I forgot to put in their website address which has a map. The web site is www.kinstonecircle.com

    ReplyDelete