Pages

Friday, May 31, 2013

What Would I Do?

I have often wondered if a gay couple came to me to officiate at their wedding what I would do. Morally, I believe I should officiate. Yet, the teachings of my church have often been against this and I could loose my standing as a pastor. And I believe in being subject to the authority of my peers. It is a lose, lose situation, which I am in some ways glad I never had to decide. In other ways I wish I had forced to make the decision. I’m pretty certain which I would have chosen.

Thomas S. Ogletree is the United Methodist minister whose son asked him to officiate at his wedding to his gay partner. Olgetree was moved my his son’s request and performed the ceremony which he described as “one of the most significant ritual acts of my life as a pastor. I applaud him.

Ogletree, 79 is the retired dean of Yale Divinity School, a respected theologian and lives in New York State, which accepted same sex marriages. However, the United Methodist does not agree or allow their ministers to perform same sex marriages. Sure enough, some members of his conference filed a complaint, Randall C. Paige led the clergy complaint.

Paige and Olgetree met in January to work out differences but Olgetree refused to apologize or to say he would not perform such a marriage again. In spite of his age and it is unlikely such a request would be made his conscience moved him to his stance.

Now since 2011 1,000 United Methodist clergy have signed pledges saying they are willing to defy their churches ruling on this ban. Olgetree was among them and 869 laypersons in the denomination have also signed this pledge. This bishops of the church said they would uphold the ban.

I admire the courage of those who refute the church’s ban and express their willingness to change.

But I am also dismayed that this is even an issue. It is generally the conservatives who lead the way on such bans even though conservatives ideologically are those who believe in individual choices and as little governance as possible. They act just like conservatives in the political world who have an inheratant contradiction in their beliefs.

There are major issues facing the modern church dealing with the teachings of scripture in caring for the world and its critters. We must wrestle of how we are to follow in the footsteps of Jesus in steadfast faithfulness. But as it is with folk in all institutions and groups we tend to get all excited about the small stuff and lose focus of the most important things.


Here’s to you Thomas Ogletree! I believe you walk in the footsteps on the inclusive Christ accepting those who society often rejects.

2 comments:

  1. If you were ever faced with such a choice, please do not hesitate even for a moment to make the right choice. There may be many reasons you would choose not to officiate a union of commitment, but sexual orientation shouldn't even be a factor to consider. There is a reason why so many states have now legalized same sex marriage. Just like with civil rights, even ten years from now, people will look back with disbelief that such discrimination could have existed. Thanks for sharing and thanks for supporting those who will make this change possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always assumed I would make that choice, but that is easier to say now in that it would not jeopardize my livelihood. What I would likely do is perform the ceremony and inform my governing body I was going against our stated rules. I would likely be censured and possibly be removed from the ministry. In the Presbyterian church we are allowed to bless same sex marriages but not perform them; thus the ambivalence of the church on this issue. I don't agree with many things of my denomination but I am loyal in that I affirm far more than I disagree with but it is more complicated than perceived. I know where my heart is but the law if slow to change but it is.

    ReplyDelete