Pages

Saturday, June 1, 2013

I Was a Bobble-Head Doll as a Child: Who Knew?

As a child I used to sit on the davenport and rock back and forth bumping my head against the back of the couch. My parents grew concerned and took me to the doctor who scratched his head and said, “He must have a strong sense of rhythm.”

Now I find out that it might have been the bobble-head doll syndrome which begins about age 3 (seems right) these kids bob their head and shoulders back and forth or sideways (I was a back and forther). It is said it come from cystic lesions and swelling of the third ventricle of the brain and you can put in a shunt to stop it. Perhaps I had just too much cerebrospinal fluid in my third ventricle. No cure, unless you want to surgically remove the cyst-containing lesion there or put in the shunt.


It could have been Tourette’s syndrome which would explain Doreen’s terror of what I might say while I was preaching. I speculated I might have been a bit autistic but lacked the other characteristics.

You know if you look long enough you can find all types of weird things you may have done and are abnormal or as Igor said in Young Frankenstein, “Abby Normal.”


I rather like the idea of being a bobble-head child. You could just put me on your dashboard with your GPS and be entertained during your ride. I am glad however, that they didn’t have such a diagnosis when I was a kid, or my folks would have more to worry about me. They worried enough.
Goes with my Jesus complex.

No comments:

Post a Comment