Pages

Saturday, October 29, 2011

I Love Techology, but…


I really do love technology. I wouldn’t have the ability to share ideas and thoughts which are so important to me without my computer and the internet. I wouldn’t have my kindle which gives me access to tons of books rather inexpensively on which I base my writing. I wouldn't have been able to write the books I have written. I love electricity the powers all this stuff. I love driving around and seeing the wonders of our countryside. I love having roads that make these trips possible. I love going south in the winter to be warm and play more golf with technically created forgiving clubs. Technology is wonderful but.

Do we really need to have a new and better computer coming on the market every month or two? That is just market driven greed by folk who know how to manipulate us. Do I need to have the new kindle Fire which would show me more things in color, a cheap ipad? No my computer gives me all that. Does anyone need an ipad, iphone or iwhatever. I think Steve Jobs was a genius that created marvelous and valuable technology, but he also kept his architecture to himself so others couldn’t mess with product or profits. Bill Gates is a nice guy who build a wonderful PC empire, but he was also in essence a thief who bought an operating system for the PC for $50,000 and the sold it to IBM for millions.

You know we are all suckers falling for the latest consumer products most of which we do not need but are bamboozled into thinking so by persuasive product campaigns. Our form of capitalism has been corrupted. We no longer built things that meet real needs but create needs for things we don’t need. I read recently of a Swedish firm that recently made millions by created a filter straw, so you can suck up water for most any polluted river and have clean drinking water. That’s valuable in world where most don’t have access to clean water. But in this country we spend billions on bottled water rather than turning on the tap. That’s nuts. And we are suckers. We love our Walmarts and their cheap products but they come at the expense of folk working who get lower wages and few benefits and have drive the small business out of business.

We are especially suckers for continuing to coddle and makes legislation to benefit the ultra rich. What did they do? Essentially nothing, just take from the knowledge base created by the rest of us and find ways of scooping more than their fair share of the profits. Elizabeth Warren is so right when she said, “there is nobody in this country who got rich on their own.” We are dependent upon what has gone before us and their knowledge base. In my religious life I liked using the phrase, “Jesus loves me this I know for my mother told me so.” Our faith and beliefs are dependent on those who go before s and share them.

If you build a better mousetrap you should get rewarded for it, but you should give thanks to all the mousetrap builders who went before you.

Jesus said, “where you treasure is you heart is also.” We need to think far more clearly what we treasure in this country. We are debtor nation in more ways than one.

No comments:

Post a Comment