Pages

Monday, October 3, 2011

All Creatures Great and Small


Doreen and I have been enjoying watching All Creatures Great and Small on Netflix for the past several weeks. In case you have heard of this book or BBC series, it is based upon the writings of Alf Wright who wrote under the name of James Herriot, the main character of the books.

Wright’s books reflect his life as a veterinarian in the 1940’s in a small clinic in England. Herriot works for Siegfried Farnon along with with Farnon’s brother Tristan. It is a delightful series that ran on the tely, as the British would say, from 1978 to 1990. What I particularly delights me about the series is these integrity of its lead character James Herriot. It harkens back to that day when TV fare and books lifted up the human spirit and what good we can do if we have the mindset to do so.

So, instead of watching typical programming of today on TV, which seems to show all the foibles and lack of character of human beings, it is nice for us to watch these episodes and feel good after watching. In fact, we have grown quite fond of watching BBC TV series, and Public TV that reproduce them here. Even reading the list of today’s programming of TV can put you into a blue funk, rather like watching the “bad” news broadcasts of today.

I must be getting old and nostalgic. In fact, I am.

1 comment:

  1. Cool! I remember this series. Sort of. I remember reruns being on PBS when I was like 13 or 16 or something. It was a little too 'sedate' for my tastes at the time though. :-)

    ReplyDelete