Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Philosophical Counselors

I found today a fascinating article by Emily Wax on the Washington Post with the above title. The article was based on Patricia Anne Murphy who has a PhD in philosophy which she uses to counsel folk. Apparently this is a growing field of folk who use the wisdom ancient philosopher instead of drugs to aid their patients work through life difficulties. They are also quick to refer folk with serious mental illnesses to properly qualified counselors who have specific abilities and the ability to dispense drugs. The author of the article calls them “intellectual life coaches.”

In today’s life drugs seem to predominate when it comes to easing people’s woes and problems, but that is often not what they really need. Perhaps we just need to work more on our philosophy of life, and the values we need to learn and practice to lead happier lives.

I know that was true in my ministry. Many of you know that I started my ministry in campus ministry where over half my time was spent in counseling. I found I had a real knack for it, but I also busily read a lot of psychological material of the day such as: Transactional Analysis, Gestalt Therapy, Jungian psychology, Roger’s non-directive therapy, among others. My favorite of those became Rational Therapy or Rational Emotive Therapy by Albert Ellis, now called Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy (REBT). Curiously enough Ellis was influenced by Asian, Greek, Roman and modern philosophers. It is a think system with which I felt most comfortable. Interestingly, studies have shown  that it doesn't make much different which therapy system a counselor uses as long as the patient is comfortable and trusting of the therapist. I also was quick to refer the cases that were beyond my dept to the Mental Health Association in the community and was able to transfer that trust folk had in me to those professionals.

As I grew as a counselor I found that while I continued to used those therapy systems and appreciated the handles they provided, i.e. Transactional Analysis (The I’m Ok, You’re Okay stuff) had great handles which I used but I thought was dumb as a bunch of rocks as a theory.) What I began to use more and more was the wisdom literature of scripture and laughter. The wisdom literature of scripture, in case you don’t know it, are those biblical books, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon (or Songs) and Job; particularly Job. We human beings tend to take ourselves far too seriously and wisdom literature, and philosophy help us to bring thing back into perspective. One of the things I used to do in couples counseling was to learn to dance the Penguin, a song developed by the Harvard Lampoon Tabernacle Choir. Each partner stands facing each other as the music starts (music really isn’t necessary) with arms stiffly pointed down and their hands parallel to the floor; looking penguin like. The music starts slowly and you pick up your feet in time with the music which speeds up faster and faster. Then the music abruptly starts and you reach over and tickle your partner’s belly. Stupid like a fox. It is very hard to maintain extreme angry and hostility while dancing the penguin. As I said, it’s put’s things in perspective.

Currently there are about 300 philosophical counselors in 36 states and 40 foreign countries certified by the American Philosophical Practitioners Association. If you are looking for a read on the subject check out, Plato, Not Prozac! Applying Eternal Wisdom to Everyday Problems by Lou Marinoff president of the association. The author of the article says comes across as a cross between Woody Allen and Sigmund Freud. How can that be bad?

For the full article see http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/2011/08/18/gIQA7yxNXJ_story.html
or click below

No comments:

Post a Comment