Pages

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Mind as Mirror

Thank you, Mr. Drennan, for welcoming me to your blog.

I cannot deny that if we take Bernie Madoff and his like as objects of contemplation, it will have adverse consequences on our state of mind. And if we are the sort to jump to conclusions, what you suggest regarding our nature as human beings appears to be reasonable.

However, having seen two black dogs, I cannot logically conclude that all dogs are black, nor can I, having seen two black dogs poop on my lawn, conclude that all black dogs poop on my lawn. There is a righteous limit to using anecdotal evidence as proof of universal truths.

Returning to the consequences of contemplation, the mind is like a reflection, a mirror. What matters most, prior to any conclusions drawn from a particular reflection, is where the mirror is directed. It is for this reason that many wise men have counseled thusly: "Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything be excellent or praiseworthy—think on these things."

The modern worldly mind, steeped in iniquity through the contemplation of vicious doings broadcast in media and elsewhere, fears that such a practice sets it in danger of becoming Pollyanna, an unrealistic brightsider. And yet, where does the contemplation of wickedness get us? Is it a destination we should hope to see? I think not.

As you know, I am no adept at contemplating what is excellent and praiseworthy but I try, and I take this to be the essential discipline of religion. In the realm of reflection, the inner world, even "the kingdom of heaven" if you will, we become like that on which we dwell.

~Tim Klay

2 comments:

  1. Well said, as I expected you would. Futher comment later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Later. Agreed, anecdotal thinking not the finest form of thought, but sometimes effect. But following you line of logic, therefore you must conclude that John Calvin was one of the finest of men, despite how his followers have depicted him. :-)

    ReplyDelete