Pages

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Halleluia! Another writer

Oh sweet joy, someone has joined me on this small blog. The writer, Tim Klay, was indeed a student of mine when I was attempted to loosen the minds of mainly seniors in high school in the 60’s. Tim lived in a very strongly religious and Calvinistic town where dandelions in lawns have been outlawed from yards since its inception. The illustrious Mr. Klay, valedictorian of my first class, I believe, and I have been communicating via email since June 23. How he discovered me I do not know. Since then I have received 63 emails (plus more replies) and he a like amount from me. This discussion/battle of wits/conversation has been a total delight as we examine each other ideas, beliefs, and idiosyncrasies. And now you have had a taste of his wit. Though my student, unless he found the Fountain of Youth, is an old codger now anyway. He is likely smarter than I but I remain a cagey old codger.

Of course, he has to attack the great theologian John Calvin, of which I have been accused of being his reincarnation, and in particular, his doctrine of total depravity. This doctrine, simply put means that all of us at heart are sinful and are limited thus. It has long been a great debate of whether people are by nature good or evil or neither. Note well, this is not to say whether people are good or bad, but good or evil, which is different.

Not devolving into theological constructs to defend the great Calvin and his doctrine I will merely point out some observations. This morning on Good Morning America, listened to a story about Bernie Madoff, who made out to a reporter that he was merely a victim as well as he bilked millions from folk. I saw more about Gary Giordano, suspect in the disappearance of Robyn Gardner. Of course, we have our daily news concerning politicians and their false claims, the wealthy continue to subject the poor and try to convince us that we are the better for it. I read about the war in Libya and the atrocities of Gaddafi and other leaders. I read articles about the obscene salaries of CEOs in our society (more on this in a later piece). I consider our own country and how we are viewed as greedy, self-serving, over-consuming  ugly Americans. I read history, which when taught is mainly a list of wars we as people have fought with each other over power and greed. And then I think of the rigid conservatism, bigotry, and false pride of the folk I cared for in Tim’s hometown. How can any sane person conclude other than that we are evil – meaning self serving, little beasties constantly in conflict with each other and God in our search to be more than we are.

My friend Tim is my friend despite our differences or maybe even because of our differences. This is evidence, I believe, of God’s grace, not our innate goodness. Most all little children known they are naughty little shits, it is only as we delude ourselves and justify ourselves as we age, we come to believe we are good at heart. Of course, I could be wrong, in light of the fact that I am one of those depraved beings.

Welcome friend Tim to the blog. I shall look forward to more installments of your wit and wisdom and hope others will join in as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment