Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Perfect


48Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.  ~Matthew 5:48 

Psalm 8

1O Lord, our Sovereign, how majestic is your name in all the earth! You have set your glory above the heavens.
2Out of the mouths of babes and infants you have founded a bulwark because of your foes, to silence the enemy and the avenger.
3When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars that you have established;
4what are human beings that you are mindful of them, mortals that you care for them?
5Yet you have made them a little lower than God, and crowned them with glory and honor.
6You have given them dominion over the works of your hands; you have put all things under their feet,
7all sheep and oxen, and also the beasts of the field,
8the birds of the air, and the fish of the sea, whatever passes along the paths of the seas.
9O Lord, our Sovereign, how majestic is your name in all the earth!

I have always been befuddled by Psalm 8* which describes the high regard God apparently has for human beings. And then there is the whacko bit from Matthew telling us to be perfect. Perfect? Are you kidding; anyone with the slightest insight into human nature knows that’s impossible. Oh, we coo about babies being perfect, which is also a total load; and I’m not just talking about the contents of their diapers. Babies are totally completely utterly selfish. Babies are only concerned with their being dry, fed, warm, comfortable – selfish, selfish, selfish, or in theological garb – totally sinful. Perfection is out of the question, not even remotely possible. Some of as we get older delude ourselves into think we are getting nicer. We become concerned about our children and put their needs above our own; but their your children; it’s just another form of selfishness. Sin.
However, I have begun to notice more often that when I look at the members of my family and friends and even total strangers they make me smile and I think they’re perfect.  What has happened to my clear analytical mind? But it is how I see them; perfect. Go figure.
Perhaps what is going on with me and others afflicted with this delusional activity, is that we are infected from time to time with a God virus. For God does see us as perfect; at least that is how I understand the biblical record. Oh, I know all about the sinful condemnations of God upon people and how our actions really rankle his/her Deityness. But the point of the scriptural story is that God sacrificed his Son Jesus to eradicate sin. So, when God looks at us God sees us after the fact of that redemption ~ sinless , pefect. The fact that we continue to break commandments, fail to love God and each other, and screw up in countless human ways doesn’t change a thing; we are and remain continually redeemed – perfect.
I remember after Ella was born and Kelly was telling Doreen how amazed she was that she could love someone so much, to totally, so completely. Amazing. How can we do that? Lots of explanations can be made, but I think it is the God virus.
So, my family, my friends, my unknown extended family that’s it ~ we’re perfect and there’s nothing, no matter how are we try, it how we are – perfect. It is God’s love virus. Whether you believe in God or not is immaterial because it is not about us, but about God.
*Priscilla, the writer of the New Testament book, Hebrews found it so incredible that she quoted it with human just below the angels and her editor husband agreed. Not everyone agrees with my opinion as to who wrote Hebrews but so what.
Psalm 8 (from Eugene Peterson’s translation, The Message)
A David psalm
1God, brilliant Lord,
yours is a household name.
2Nursing infants gurgle choruses about you;
toddlers shout the songs
That drown out enemy talk,
and silence atheist babble.
3I look up at your macro-skies, dark and enormous,
your handmade sky-jewelry,
Moon and stars mounted in their settings.
4Then I look at my micro-self and wonder,
Why do you bother with us?
Why take a second look our way?
5Yet we’ve so narrowly missed being gods,
bright with Eden’s dawn light.
6You put us in charge of your handcrafted world,
repeated to us your Genesis-charge,
7Made us lords of sheep and cattle,
even animals out in the wild,
8Birds flying and fish swimming,
whales singing in the ocean deeps.
9God, brilliant Lord,
your name echoes around the world.

2 comments:

  1. Reading your quoted Psalms reminded me that, although I didn't care much for church as a child, I always loved the Psalms and considered them my favorite books of the Bible. They expressed to me a direct relationship with the divine spirit, with no human intermediaries involved. Quakerism and Sufism contain elements of that direct relationship as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, I think almost all of us have the feeling of connection to the divine spirit and almost all religions reflect those connections somewhere in their writings and traditions. The problem lies in the practicing of those religion and codifying them strictly. We are always trying to box god who refuses to be boxed. I once wrote a haiki poem based on a this concept I had with your grandpa, my dad. It went:
    Little man in your box
    look up please
    set what others see? Perceieve?

    ReplyDelete