Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Book Corner

For Christmas Doreen gave me a Kindle book reader. I’ve been trying to give her one for a couple of years but she didn’t seem interested even though she is reading a lot, especially with her book club.

 Well, do I love my Kindle. I’ve been reading up a storm since then (No, I don’t golf all the time.) I especially like all the free books one can get. So, I downloaded The Wisdom of the Fathers and Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton. Wow, is that fella a wordsmith. If you compare letters from now to 100 to 200 years ago we appear like illiterates. Really stimulated the old grey cells.

 I also got Democracy in America, Part 2 (couldn’t find part 1) by Alexander Tocqueville to go along with my renewed interest in politics and economic and the inherent problems with democratic systems which are readily apparent today.

Another delight was Stupid American History by Leland Gregory which is full of funny materials about ourselves and our nation.
Again, with my revived interest in economics I downloaded The Economic Consequences of the Peace… by the great economist John Maynard Keynes and The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith the basic primer of the free enterprise system. So much of this is material I have read during college years and rue the fact that today college students get less and less liberal arts type of education. The nation is all the poorer for it.

I just finished The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson, a real hoot once you get into it.
Currently I’m reading Heat Wave by Richard Castle. For you Castle TV watchers Richard Castle is a writer who writes books about Nikki Heat while trailing her real life counterpart Detective Becket. Fun.
Recently we downloaded The Book of Awaking, by Mark Nepo, one of Oprah’s life changing books. Doreen may wrestle the Kindle away  from me to read it.

You can also download book samples. I have bits from Lies I Told My Children by Karen McQuestion and With God on the Golf Course by Phil Calalaway.

The Kindle comes with a couple of dictionaries which are interactive with the book text, so if you don’t know a word you can just go to it and get its definition, nifty. There are a bunch of neat gadgets like that to make your reading more interesting.

You can also download magazines and newspapers and the books are quite reasonable, mostly under $10.  If you know folk with a similar book reader you can share books with them, the major flaw with book readers.

Anyhow, I am definitely a fan of these gadgets which are east to tote around and use. I love just turning it on, connecting to the internet and downloading whatever I want free and otherwise.
 ---

P.S. Two books that I’ve read recently that have really impacted my views of economics, taxes and government are Free Lunch  and Perfectly Legal by David Cay Johnston. I heard him talking on PBR and was wowed by his knowledge of our tax system. He is a NY Times financial writer and a Noble Prize winner. Really good reads that will also scare the socks of you by what’s happening with our economy. The essential premise is that the rich have bought the government (both parties) and use laws to tax the middle and lower classes to make the rich richer. Some read. I’ve loaned my copies to Kent for now. Looking forward to his comments.

4 comments:

  1. Oh yes, Kent. I also finished your book "The Summer Guest" by Justin Cronin. Good read

    ReplyDelete
  2. As this is the first time i'm trying to comment,WATCH OUT. I'm happy that Hugh is enjoying his Kendal but still h aven't decided it's for me. I like to exchange books with friends.

    Highland Hills-- this is the best Winter spot, especially for a golf addict. And because we've been in this area before we know how to get around. Also, all I had to do is look out the window the first day and see a couple limping down the street to know I am home. I do strech each day and it helps and I sure hope that surgery in April will be the help it's cracked up to be. The ortho doc said all he had to do is go in there with the hammer and chisel and all would be great, he does 300 a year so knows what he's doing, I hope.

    We saw granddaughter Melissa and Brian last weekend and had such a good time. Mel really looks good as a pregnant mom to be. We golfed on a nice and afforable course run by a crabby guy who told Mel she should go to a driving range first. She told him she'd been there. Seems they should be glad some of us come to their course and keep the overhead down for the year-rounders.

    Tomorrow is a welcoming brekfast for the renters and the snow birds returning. Hope they have pancakes.

    I have my embroidery and a scarf I've been knitting for a couple of winters and they have a wonderful library at the clubhouse-- an honor system. So I am just fine while Hugh golfs. I'm trying to golf twice a week and not doing too badly. Enuf for now Doreen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, impressive reads, Hugh, and I'm intriqued by the Kindle (don't have one).

    I've been immersed in mostly children's literature because of my young ones - Milo and Finn and I are working our way through The Hobbit (an annotated version, with lots of fascinating tidbits and extras), and Avery and I just finished To Kill a Mockingbird.

    I recently read every Sherlock Holmes story as a tribute to my dad (plus they're fun to read!)

    With a nod to the Acadamy Awards nominations annouced today, I'll mention a few movies I loved this year:

    Winter's Bone - this movie is just beautifully acted and directed.

    Cairo Time - same as above and set in Cairo

    The Social Network - saw this movie with young Avery, who was instantly inspired to learn computer programming... I wonder why?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doreen, I loved your update... keep them coming as I love hearing your news!

    ReplyDelete