Pages

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Our Cadia or My Cadia.


At a recent book club meeting one of the women talked about a time when she was driving with her grandson to a nearby town called Arcadia. As they neared the town she told him we’re almost to Arcadia. He replied, “No grandma, it’s My Cadia.”

What an apt way of comparing how citizens view the country; my country or our country. There is a significant difference. The my country folk are very possessive of the country and also, in my estimation, emphasis self interests and selfish concerns. It is reflected in comments about the government taking my money in taxes.

Our country folk affirm commonality and mutual interests. We pay taxes to our government for our mutual benefit. Our taxes can be used to help defend our country, to build our infrastructure for our use. Our taxes can be used to help our brothers and sisters who are in need. Our taxes can be used to stimulate a sluggish economy. Our taxes can reach out to other countries to promote good will and help to brothers and sisters elsewhere. Our taxes can help take care of veterans who have served us and need our care. Our taxes can be used to encourage new industries and protect old ones. Our taxes can be used to limit pollution and take care of our land and our water.

I think we’d all be better off taking a trip to Our Cadia. The freshman class of congress seem to be drive to my cadia.

1 comment:

  1. Having been born and raised about 80 north of
    Your-cadia, or Arcadia, I remember the big
    chicken place and a very good polka band...
    circa 1950s. Still pass through there once in awhile between hither and yon.

    ReplyDelete