Pages

Friday, March 23, 2012

A Bad Good Quote




I both dislike and like this statement of Goldwater. I know where he is coming from and I agree with his sentiments, but as a Christian Preacher I find his stereotyping reprehensible.

Who Goldwater is talking about are the extreme right preachers and Christians that are akin in my mind to the Pharisees of Jesus’ day. The legalists who see the Bible as a club to beat people over the head with to make them conform to a particular view of scripture and life they believe. These folk are much more politically sophisticated and active than they were in Goldwater’s era. And it really irks my liberal bones to hear Christianity made synonymous with Republicanism. All of that ilk reminds me of the TV evangelistic hucksters we find who are more interested in fame and power than in the teachings of Jesus. They are the folk who preach the “mean gospel” of a harsh and judging God who seems anxious to condemn certain people to hell. I see them walking around with sandwich boards proclaiming, “Ha, ha, ha, I’m saved and you’re not.” They are who point out when they decided to follow Jesus rather than realized Jesus died for the world and not the few. And often they are folk of limited education at a narrow viewed bible college or “just felt the call” and began preaching. I’m not in the condemning business and folk in that background can do good and have promoted God’s kingdom. But also many of them give a false picture and claim authority they do not have.

While those of us in mainline churches that require their pastor’s to have Bachelor degrees as well as advanced degrees and applied internship training may fall prey to the same prejudices and narrow view of those less trained, it is less likely. We have studied scripture and have training in the biblical languages. We have studied church history including its mistakes and learning. We have studied theology, the ideas about God by great minds that precede us from which we can build our own theology, and we have training is being pastoral, caring for members of our congregations. This doesn’t make us perfect, more likely we learn of our own failings and inabilities and recognize our dependence upon God and God’s daily grace. And hopefully we are more open and accepting of views that differ from our own, but also have the inclination and training and processes (polity) to work through our differences emphasizing our common values rather than our differences.

When it comes to politics as a pastor I talked to my congregations about the importance of political involvement as part of our stewardship of the world God gives us. I never told them what party to vote for or any particular candidate to vote for. I did tell them to use their belief systems to inform the political beliefs and choices but realize we will not end up agreeing. To me that was responsible pasturing. And when I see the extreme right wing preachers backing particular political points of view or endorsing candidates I am ashamed of them as representatives’ of the inclusive Christ.

This is not to say that pastor’s cannot have political views and speak to them, but not from the pulpit, that is the wrong forum and abuse of office. I appreciate that I am now retired I can be more public about my political preferences, thus this blog.

Barry Goldwater was the first presidential candidate I ever voted for; obviously my political views and changed since then. But the Republican party of his day is a far cry from the Republican party of today. I has, in fact, become what he warned about despite his over generalizations in that statement above, that John Dean quotes in his 2006 book, Repubicans without Conscience  the Goldwater said in 1994. I prefer this statement he gave in 1981 in the senate, On religious issues there can be little or no compromise. There is no position on which people are so immovable as their religious beliefs. There is no more powerful ally one can claim in a debate than Jesus Christ, or God, or Allah, or whatever one calls this supreme being. But like any powerful weapon, the use of God's name on one's behalf should be used sparingly. The religious factions that are growing throughout our land are not using their religious clout with wisdom. They are trying to force government leaders into following their position 100 percent. If you disagree with these religious groups on a particular moral issue, they complain, they threaten you with a loss of money or votes or both.
I'm frankly sick and tired of the political preachers across this country telling me as a citizen that if I want to be a moral person, I must believe in "A," "B," "C" and "D." Just who do they think they are? And from where do they presume to claim the right to dictate their moral beliefs to me?
And I am even more angry as a legislator who must endure the threats of every religious group who thinks it has some God-granted right to control my vote on every roll call in the Senate. I am warning them today: I will fight them every step of the way if they try to dictate their moral convictions to all Americans in the name of "conservatism."

Religion and politics are the major issues which we should be debating in our society. But I abhor those narrow minded debaters who claim to have the sole truth in these matters. Religion should inform our political beliefs. But the Bible I see and follow is the one of a loving God who cares equally for all people and asks us to care for our brothers and sisters with respect and responsibility. I believe in the good news of the gospel, not the hatemongering of anyone.

Politicians today would serve better today if they remember religious civility and those positive responsibilities we have for each other rather than fear mongering that has become so popular in recent elections.

2 comments:

  1. It's a bit confounding to find the Ralph Reeds,
    the Hagees, Colson, Dobson, Sekulow and Ted Haggards, etc aligned with the Glenn Becks,
    Rush Limbaughs and Ann Coulters, etc: sort of
    perversely kafkaesque.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Politicians invoke God's name to avoid having their position on an issue questioned. It is a transparent tactic to avoid debate or criticism when one's position is on particularly weak logical footing.

    Scrambling religion and state combines the worst of both, improves neither, and ultimately just gets you a government that cannot be questioned. If you can fool enough people into believing that you speak for God, they will willingly bow down and cede any remaining freedoms they might have.

    ReplyDelete