Pages

Friday, July 8, 2011

Sacrificing Seniors

As a senior I am beginning to understand the term “sacrificial lamb” in a new and personal way. President Obama seems about ready to sacrifice us (seniors) in terms of Social Security benefits in order to work a deal with the entrenched Republicans who would rather destroy our economy than give cuts to those in need in this country.

I hate to think this type of bullying works at a national level but apparently it does. I do believe in compromise (see previous articles) but there is going to be tremendous cost to the country over this one and not only seniors.

But I am glad the Obama and John Boehner are playing golf. It takes a big man to play golf with a guy who called him a liar during a presidential address. This confirms my belief the higher the moral integrity a person has the higher his golf score; at least that is how I explain my huge golf handicap.

I've got to find some good news to write about. I'm beginning to sound like broadcast news.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bringing down Social Security is the final ideological goal on the list. This is the Holy Grail. They got the tax cuts they wanted, the wars they wanted, the financial deregulation they wanted, the bankruptcy reform they wanted and the free trade they wanted - they've basically gotten everything they wanted the last 20 years and we are realizing the 'benefits' of being immersed in this conservative economic paradise.

    And of course it didn't pan out. And now that the economy's on the ropes, I suppose the final kicking of its corpse will be to use the resulting deficits as an excuse to tear up the last tattered remains of the social safety net.

    At what point will we admit that all these choices the last couple decades just didn't work out like were were told they were going to? And at what point will we face up to these mistakes and change direction?

    ReplyDelete