Pages

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Medicare Reduction Comparisons


The following is really just a rehash or summary of Robert Reich’s blog on the same subject.

The presidential candidates are going at each other claiming the other side is going to destroy Medicare, which is very scary especially for folk my age. Romney says Obama’s current plan will cut $700 billion from Medicare. And though I have not heard Obama say it, Ryan’s plan takes the exact same amount away from Medicare. So it’s a wash right? No!

Reich points out that the Affordable Care Act cuts by reducing payments to drug companies, hospitals and the like and leaves payments to Medicare recipients basically alone. The Romney-Ryan gets its savings by turning Medicare into a voucher program which will not keep up with increasing health costs thereby costing senior’s more, about $6,500 a year. You can check the Congressional Budget Office for the data.

This is a major difference and people should know it.

4 comments:

  1. "Medicare into a voucher program which will not keep up with increasing health costs thereby costing senior’s more, about $6,500" ...and THEY talk about death panels....

    ReplyDelete
  2. "a voucher program which will not keep up with increasing health costs"

    Predicted "increasing costs"... from an agency with a bad reputation at being able to predict anything.

    But looking at your main objection, would you approve the voucher program if it were changed to keep up with any increasing costs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I would like it, having dealt with
      private health insurers my whole life, I find
      medicare easier to deal with. Heck, I still carry supplemental health insurance out of pocket, and they change benefits, deductibles
      and foreign phone banks faster than I can write
      checks....

      Delete
  3. I'm with BB-Idaho; for profit health care is what it is, for profit. I'm paying plenty already.

    ReplyDelete