Pages

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Iowa Politics


I grew up in Iowa. I went to school there and taught school there and pastured there. And I got involved with Iowa politics which allow ordinary folk to do that. I would go to meetings at folk’s houses and listen to candidates for various offices. Did a little campaigning for some favorites. In one small town I went to the local democratic caucus; there were six of us and we wrote party planks. Then a couple of us went to the country caucus and wrote more planks and sorted them out and made priorities. That was about as far as I went, but I could have easily gone on to higher levels if I wanted to, but I wondered if the congregation I was serving might get a bit bothered by this. But it was fun and exciting and gave you a real feel of our things could work from the ground up to the national level.

I just found out that one of my golfing buddies, Bob, is heading off to the national Democratic Convention as a state delegate. Damn that sounds like fun. Have a ball Bob, I’ll be thinking of you.

Why do I keep turning down those invitations to have dinner the Obama’s? Too much golf to play I guess.  

No comments:

Post a Comment