Pages

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Some Sunday Thoughts


“American singer and actress Whitney Houston, widely regarded as one of the most celebrated female acts of all time, dies at the age of 48.” ~ BBC News

“The world is but a stage and we its actors.” ~ Shakespeare

Acts of kindness in the world by Americans (compared to acts of violence) talked about in this blog by various dialoguers. (Researcheres to your marks.)

At one time I chaired a Committee work at one time to create a mission statement for our presbytery (middle judicatory in the Presbyterian Church USA in which the most power in vested), A part of that statement included thoughts I initiated that that God was the author of the story we were all living. There was a pastor who objected as he equated story with lying. I had a much more positive image of stories: “Jesus loves me this I know for my mother told me so” (though stories biblical and others.)

We are actors. We act upon our beliefs and principles. Our beliefs and principles come from the stories that we have learned from those we trust and also from those we distrust and reject.

Like Whitney Houston we have talents great and small, and God uses them all. We lament when they are used poorly or worse not used as a blessing for others. We take joy when they are joyously shared with others and the world is better for it.

Think of the stories that have influenced your life and act to honor those stories. Then our stories will bring joy to our world.

2 comments:

  1. It appears Whitney was involved in all sorts of charities and good works, and took some courageous stands. I was not aware of this until I saw this talked of on a major cable news channel today. Otherwise I knew mostly the celebrity gossip stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must be honest and say I was not a fan of her music. But it is a sad and tragic loss for someone so young to die.

    ReplyDelete