Pages

Sunday, February 19, 2012

An Affirmation of Faith


The  following was the affirmation of faith used in our worship service this morning at The First Presbyterian Church of Dunedin. I just had to share with all of you. It was written by Martin Luther King Jr.

I refuse to believe that we are unable to influence of the events which surround us.
I refuse to believe that we are so bound to racism and war,
      that peace, brotherhood and sisterhood are not possible.
I believe there is an urgent need for people to overcome oppression and violence,
      without resorting to violence and oppression.
I believe that the right temporarily defeated is stronger than evil triumphant.
I believe that peoples everywhere can have three meals a day for their bodies,
      education and culture for their minds,
      and dignify, quality and freedom for their spirits.
I believe that what self-centered people have torn down,
      other-centered people can build up.
By the goodness of God at work within people,
      I believe that brokenness can be healed.
      ‘And the lion and the lamb shall lie down together,
      and everyone will sit under their own vine and fig tree,
      and none shall be afraid.

May we be the people to affirm this affirmation and help bring it into being by God’s grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment