Pages

Saturday, April 9, 2011

David Feherty and Michael Campbell

For those golf non-enthusiasts who do not know David Feherty let me tell you who he is. He's an Irishman now a proud American citizen. He was a golf pro and now a golf commentator with the wit of Robin Williams. Ferherty has the disctinction (like the current House of Representatives leader) to look like a ferret  just smiles a lot more and cries less. He also writes for  Golf Magazine from hence these thoughts come. Michael Campbell (not the New Zealand golfer) just showed up one day at the TV compound during last May's Colonial. Campbell is a 28 year old marine who decided he wanted to walk with Feherty that day and did. Feherty has a very tender heart for members of the military so that was fine with him. Periodically Campbell would ask Feherty his name. It turns out he was injured in combat and has about 2 minutes of short term memory and thought the walking scoreboard was a great feat of genius. They have remained in contact. Campbell loves golf and would like to play on the PGA, and apparently just may have the skills to do so. Butch Harmon thinks so. Why not!


It came to me that Campbell may have a distinct advantage as a golfer with a two minute memory limit. If I had that limit I wouldn't have remembered the 11 I took on the back nine yesterday and followed with an 8. On the other hand I'm quite proud that I could even remember that I took that amount of strokes as my memory on the golf course seems less than Campbells. Then there is Megan's Bob (Stilling) who remembers every shot he ever took.


There may be a point in these ramblings but I'll let you figure it out for yourselves.


Blessing...curse....blessing...curse...blessing...curse....

No comments:

Post a Comment