Pages

Saturday, December 8, 2012

This Is Not the Religious Christmas Season


Christmas is December 25th. The Christmas season is the twelve days after Christmas ending with Epiphany. That is the Christmas season, and many needed Jon Stewart, a Jewish man, to be reminded of that.

What we are celebrating with the Black Friday (also stolen from Christianity and given new meaning) and now Black Thursday (thus stealing the holiday of Thanksgiving, is a secular and materialistic event where folk buy presents, some because they want to share, some because of guilt, some because of obligation, some for no particular reason as all and some because they want to get goodies in return. And some just use the occasion as another reason to get snockered. (Does anybody really like egg nog?)

Now, before I am labeled a total scrouge, I admit I like the season, which we Christians should properly call Advent. Advent is a time of preparation for the celebration or anniversary of the coming of the messiah. I like buying presents for those I care for. I especially like making presents for those I care for or finding that special something to celebrate our relationships. Fortunately, being retired, I have time to do this than most. I have attempted, with very limited results, to make this a time of year for family philanthropy as most of us have more “things” than we know what to do with.

I will also admit that the secular Christmas season makes a lot of money for retailers and that is good for retail workers and the economy. Perhaps we should celebrate a secular Christmas twice a year as December 25th is an arbitrary day any way; nobody really knows the date Jesus was born. December was likely selected by the early church to combat pagan winter solstice celebrations. So pagan it away people of all faiths and grow the economy. Even charities benefit from the largess of this time of year.

I like the idea of making Hanukkah  חֲנֻכָּה  more popular. This Festival of Lights is an 8 day holiday and you can get presents every day.

An early Merry Christmas (though I should wait) and happy whatever you are celebrating. May your faith grow stronger than your secular interests and your life more fulfilling.

No comments:

Post a Comment