Pages

Saturday, December 22, 2012

I Want – I Have


I want, or rather, I covet a Nexus 7 and I also covet a wii with Tiger Woods PGA golf game. Hey, I’ve always liked toys and these two seem really appealing to me. Now I spend a good deal of time of the computer doing research, writing articles, checking out contacts, and just playing. That little Nexus would make it even easier to do those things while sitting in my recliner and when we travel. Oooo I’d like one of those. I also love to golf and since we are not going south this winter, except for a couple of weeks, I’m going through golf withdrawal. I’ve cleaned my clubs, my wife clubs, I’ve sorted through the contents of the golf bags removed stuff that really doesn’t need to be there and put in stuff I think should be there. I read my golf magazines and watch people golfing on TV and I’m envious. Friends tell me that the wii and the Tiger Woods game is good and feels life playing golf on courses I know I will never play. When I let my greed alter ego out to play, what I really want is one of those Optigolf programs which is practically like playing golf, but I can’t think of a room in our house where I could swing a club and not do serious damage to the ceiling and surroundings. Oh, how I want those things.

But I spend a good deal of time in my recliner looking out the window and the Mississippi at one of the greatest views of the world with my wife who loves me. We are warm and toasty and I have a plow for my garden tractor and a whooping snow blower that can throw that white stuff every which way and can be a hero to my neighbors as I do their walks as well. It is Christmas time and a time to share gifts with family and friends as expressions of love. I’ve had great fun making and creating some of those gifts and am able to buy others. It actually my cup overflows and then some. I am living the abundant life the scriptures promise in so many many ways. And I am grateful for these blessings.

We human beings are such paradoxical creatures pulled multiple ways all at the same time. I’m no different from the baby yelling for my needs to be taken care of and I am a person who by God’s grace and through the training of others and a truly grateful person.

I want, I have, I am human.

Post Script: I just finished reading Choosing Gratitude: Learning to Love of the Life You Live, by James A. Autry who inspired the last two articles. It is a great book and I would recommend it to everyone one as a good head straightener.

No comments:

Post a Comment