Pages

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

You're Weird Uncle Hugh

Roman 12.2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your minds, so that you may discern what is the will of God -- what is good and acceptable and perfect.


The common epistle lectionary reading for today is Romans 12. 1-21. I just picked this verse. I'd suggest reading the whole passage.  When I grew up in a small town, 1000 or so, like most small towns there were clicks. There were the athletes, the musical types, the farmers, and some that just didn't seem to fit anywhere. I think I belonged to all those groups and to none of them. Sociologists call that marginalization. While the pressure to conform is so strong among the young and I certainly felt it, I'm also pleased with the role a played. I was also very lucky in that by the age of 19 I knew what I wanted to do in life; serve God as a pastor. Even then I knew that would set me apart even more (which is also a definition of holy (set apart); it gave me a great deal of comfort. I think perhaps I understood my calling better at that age better than I do now and also worse. But non conformity to the world has always been a strong conviction for me. It is not just to be different for difference sake (thought that may play a part), it is a great deal of conformity just seems wrong. Common values were not particular Christian values but conforming values to be popular, the be successful, to be powerful, to be important.


At that young age I knew I had bitten off more than I could chew (the young tend to be more honest that way.) and I knew I needed help and I knew that help had to come from God, so I made a prayer. That prayer was for wisdom. At root wisdom means to stand in awe of God, to know there is something, someone so much bigger than ourselves. And, like most folk called to a ministry I knew I had a very strong ego, I also knew it had to be held in check.


The point I guess I'm trying to make is that we need to continue to heed Paul's advise to his friends in Rome, to not conform to worldly values but to try to discern what God wants us to do and then do it as best we can. Be different, it is a good thing, search for a higher road to travel and travel it. Be perfect, knowing full well you will never be perfect and will screw all of this up constantly. It's okay, God's knows about that, about us and love us absolutely to death anyway.


One of my favorite memories while I was in seminary and living with my brother and his family on weekends while I served a church on the weekend was one day my niece Kathleen looked a me and said, "Uncle Hugh, you're weird!" It seemed a loving statement to me and I liked it. Still do.


Humm, much be gearing up for preaching next month.



1 comment:

  1. I can't believe I said that. How embarrassing that I was so tactless as a child. It was indeed a compliment though. I thought you were a super cool uncle then and still do.

    ReplyDelete