Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Guilt

I feel guilty! I feel guilty about not expressing my love to Doreen, my family, and my friends enough. I feel guilty about sharing more of my wealth with those in need. I feel guilty about constantly judging people according to my particular standards. I feel guilty about not being a better pastor than I was. I feel guilty for not sharing my pastoral gifts more in my retirement. I feel guilty about playing too much golf (but not very.) I feel guilty for not reading more than I already do. I feel guilty for feeling superior to others and inferior to others. I feel guilty about weighing more than I should. I feel guilty for thinking my religious beliefs are better than others’ beliefs. I feel guilty about feeling my political thinking and motives are more rational than others politics. I feel guilty for judging people for having too many children in an over populated world. I feel guilty for never having or raising a child myself. I feel guilty for stepping on ants. I feel guilty for not living up to what I think are God’s expectations of me and fully using the gifts God had given me...

I feel guilty because I am guilty of all these things and many many more. It is not some societal trip or bad parenting that caused it (though they may have had a hand in the coping mechanisms.) Let me say it again, I feel guilty because I am guilty.

And the best coping mechanism for dealing with that guilt? Confession. Confession, not justification or rationalization, such as comparing myself with others on a badness or goodness scale.

You are guilty too, if you are a human beings (not sure about dogs). So what does one do with all that guilt, accept it and let God forgive it. God sees us as guiltless because of what Jesus did. Amazing.

P.S. This is a reflection upon guilt, not good and bad. That is another story but we tend to confuse the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment