Pages

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Sin


I can see eyes glazing over already. Sin, what an outmoded, irrelevant, strange word and title; who wants to talk about that. Well, pastors, like myself have been talking about it for years in varying ways.

People today are interested in spirituality and even in religion, but not in the same way we have talked about those ideas in previous generations, as a matter a fact, the idea of spirituality is foreign to many older folk.

But back to sin; I think I am starting to redefine my concept of sin. To put my theological cards on the table I am a hardcore Calvinist, one who affirms the basic theology and beliefs of John Calvin and the tenants of reformed faith. One of those beliefs is total depravity, meaning the human inclination is to do evil (not bad that is another concept); evil being, not what God’s wants. And in describing how that works I have often taught confirmands (those studying for adult church membership) that evil, sin is basically pride and selfishness, putting yourself of others ahead of God; hubris is a good if not out of date description. It is not a perfect definition but generally got across what I wanted to say.

Now back to spirituality as a way of seeing ourselves having some type of significant relationship with the divine; intimate and having to do with a fuller sense of self. In our culture we have grown used to describing ourselves in terms of our genetics, our social milieu, our economic position, are racial and ethnic heritage, our political affiliations, our communities or region, our pet preference, whether you prefer tea or coffee or soda and the like.

But more and more people are beginning to reflect of their spirituality as they seek to understand who they are. And, if I am connected to the divine or deity what is that relationship like and how does it affect my daily life.

My belief is that we are all children of God, also the brothers and sisters of God; intimate members of the divine family and that is the center of our identity; those things that distract us from that reality is/are sin. Bear in mind as I am writing this cats are attempting to walk across my keyboard and I am trying to watch This Week with George Stephanopoulos. Distractions.

We have a tendency to see sin, evil as bad terms rather than just descriptive terms. Christians have done a marvelous job of this illusion by trying to scare folk into believing in God with the punishment of sin resulting in eternal damnation. Sick. I don’t believe God, the divine wants anyone in eternal damnation, I don’t believe in hell, and any punishment we receive is due to our own actions or by accident. I believe God wants a full abundant life for everyone.

We live in a world of distractions, we are the choice making generation, where I mentioned before we have 82,000 choices of coffee if we go into Starbucks. Also the media pretty much ignores the spiritual aspects of life. But that does not mean that folk do not think about their spirituality quite a bit. Who am I? With all these distractions it is hard to answer the ultimate questions of identity and what meaning we have in life. And most folk do not have the vocabulary to talk easily about these issues.

This is indeed the post-Christian and perhaps the post-religious age but it is not the post-spiritual age. But all those distractions, the sins, keep us from focusing upon the most important relationships we have in life.

Yet I remain convinced that the Divine will not leave us alone any more than a loving father or mother or sister or brother can leave us alone. Indeed we may be living in a time of new revival or awakening.

My great thanks to Diana Butler Bass and her new book Christianity After Religion: the End of Church and the Birth of the New Spiritual Awakening. I am about half way (58% according to my Kindle) through this marvelous book and it certainly has stimulated my thinking.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You don't have to. Over the ages folk have debated human nature repeatedly. Some believe human beings are basically good, some folk basically evil (sinful.) All of this gets complicated with value judgments on these two ideas. My opinion comes from my study and observation of human beings, and a blessing or curse, of being able to see base motives of human beings. But that is just my study and thought. It was not shared by either of my parents. As a child when I asked my mother how I could get to heaven, she said, "Be a good as you can." and I thought, "I'm screwed!" I knew I could never be as good as I thought I could be.
      My father believed that human beings were capable of almost anything. For example as a farmer he thought we could feed the world. We can't. We was most found of the writings of Pierre Teilhard de Chardin who wrote a book called the "The Phenomenon of Man" about the noosphere as I recall. I think you might find it interesting as well as the book I referenced at the end of this piece.
      I love your phrasing though. All of us I think need to be thinking about and questioned what we believe and what we are. The Hebrews were much more verbal in thinking; we tend to be noun and linear and passive in western thought.
      Well just a few thoughts. I'm rather excited to see that I may being through some major thought changes. Never too old to change, though my basic theology has been intact since age 19 when I experienced one of those divine moments. I have wrestled with it ever since. I must be a Jacob type; the rascal.

      Delete
    2. I must proofread more before submitting these things. We should be he on my Father's interest in de Charin and questioned should be questioning; but that is one of my failings.

      Delete
  2. Another thought comes to mind to share. I am firmly convinced that Jesus is constantly a counter-cultural person; no matter what the culture is. He invariably enables folk to see things from a brand new perspective; for me it is a divine perspective. And he constantly took on those who were proponents of the current rigid culture such as the Pharisees and and Sadducees and the Zealots. We have plenty of those around today in the institutional church who place rigid principles and interpretation over common caring and compassion. Those attitudes to me appear sinful in that distract us from the basic moral and ethical obligation to love each other; and for me to place the divine over all that is human. That does not infer the divine is not in us, it just feel unnatural in this existence.

    Back to watching the Daytona 500 and rooting for Danika.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well beyond my ken. I would only note that I visited a blog of a young lady who had been a (probably too serious) fundamentalist evangelical, a calvinist and a Roman catholic. Then, turned atheist. Apparently the childhood
    fear and guilt instilled in her led to intense study (her theological arguments left me gasping and helpless) and ultimately rejection. Sin and punishment seemed the crux of her problems. Philosophy is another area that befuddles me...
    but we note Spinoza.."Sin cannot be conceived in a natural state, but only in a civil state, where it is decreed by common consent what is good or bad." He was labeled both
    atheist and 'God intoxicated'. Regarding Danika, my wife
    and I were discussing how she moved from formula 1 racing into NASCAR racing. The Mrs. said, "the NASCAR racers never
    go into the Indianapolis/Sebring type of stuff?" My reply,
    "No, when you learn NASCAR racing, you can only make left
    turns". Then, we agreed we were glad our daughters didn't take up any sort of car racing....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! With that background atheism seems a good option. I love John Calvin but often have problems with Calvinists. He incredibly misunderstood. Unfortunately the institutional church has used the concept of sin as a club to beat up people.

      I feel another article coming on on the same subject. Stay tuned.

      Sin is intentional crashing a competitor.

      Delete